August 7th, 2015
I’ve been slowly continuing to work on the installation of paper cut patterns that I started at the beginning of the summer. This are some of the recently completed pieces.
I still have a looooooong way to go before there is enough individual pieces to make a substantial installation.
June 25th, 2015
I haven’t been working on my pattern paper cut project much over the last three weeks because I’ve been focused on other things. But yesterday I finally made time to work on transforming the flat pieces into 3D, and how to connect them together. This is the part of the project I’ve been procrastinating madly, all the while working on it in my head.
I scored the paper and folded the three pieces into half boxes, and used painters tape because I didn’t have archival glue on hand. I’m still not sure if I will glue each box or assemble them with tabs. If they are glued it makes them more difficult to store and ship, while with tabs I can take them apart to make them flat.
I won’t go into details about how these are attached to one another, but they aren’t glued or taped. I love playing with materials and problem solving. The goal is to make this a modular installation of small pieces that fit together to make a larger whole. With this prototype I can see the idea is going to work.
May 13th, 2015
A few weeks ago I started working on a second paper cut installation made from the remaining seven foot roll of tyvek. It’s proving to be the most awkward thing ever to maneuver around and work on so my progress on it has been slow. This one will be composed of a series of intricately cut circles varying in size throughout the material.
The final photo here is where I reached as of yesterday. It’s going to take me a long time to finish this, but I am determined to see it through to the end.