November 7th, 2014
This is my favourite piece that I’ve made for the Eastside Culture Crawl. I love how the three larger shapes fit together, the flow of the small cut shapes, and the bright colours. I’ve titled this piece, Propeller.
As with all of the others for this series, the work is cut from a 14″ x 17″ piece of white drawing paper, and mounted to a piece of 16″ x 20″ Canson Mi-teintes paper. It’s all framed and ready for the Crawl, and I can’t wait to share it in person with people.
My show at Kafka continues until December 1st, and the Eastside Culture Crawl is coming up fast on November 20th to 23rd. And then I’m taking a break….
November 3rd, 2014
I was thinking about a pinwheel when I started this piece and though it ended up not becoming much like an actual pinwheel I am keeping it as the name. When I work on these I often can’t tell how the larger form is going to work until most of the paper cutting is done.
The work is a 14″ x 17″ paper cut mounted onto 16″ x 20″ Canson Mi-teintes grey paper. I added the blue circle because as I was framing this I felt it needed a contrasting shape and colour to make the design stronger.
This is part of the same series of work I created for my show at Kafka, but it will be on display at my studio location during the Eastside Culture Crawl, November 20th to 23rd.
October 22nd, 2014
This is work I have been sitting on for months while I waited for the advertisements to be approved by the client and go to print. I was commissioned in June by ReThink Communications to cut and fabricate by hand two illustrated scenes created from ten layers of paper to advertise So Nice soy and almond milk.
Around the time I completed my part of the work I shared two tiny details of a bird and a maple leaf, one from each scene. It gives an idea of the scale I was working at, though both scenes once assembled were approximately 9.75″ high, 3.75″ wide, and 8″ long.
Work in progress of the Yoga pose diorama, just after all the layers were cut.
Work in progress of the Yoga pose diorama, fully assembled in my studio.
Work in progress of the Gardening diorama, just after all the layers were cut.
Work in progress of the Gardening diorama, fully assembled in my studio.
The paper I worked with was 100lb watercolour paper, which was a heavier paper than I was used to at the time. The agency wanted a handmade look and feel to the pieces, to suit the organic focus of the products. The blank cartons were provided by the client, and skinned in post-production by the agency.
The final version of the artwork used in the advertisement can be viewed in my portfolio.