August 25th, 2015 | No Comments »

This is the second braided rug I’ve worked on and completed this summer. The first one is in greys and black, and you can see it here. Working with colour made it more challenging to come up with a colour scheme and make it look good. I had many more colours of t-shirt yarn available to me but I decided to stick with blues, oranges and reds.

For the grey rug I managed to only use materials made from Boris’ collection of startup/tech conference shirts, but for this one I used a few shirts sources from Value Village because I wanted specific colours. If you’re going to buy second-hand shirts to make yarn, I highly recommend mens extra large shirts to maximize material.

Completed Braided Rug

Completed braided rug - detail

I made this over a three week period, which included making four or five additional balls of yarn. It was a great project to work on in the evenings while binging on Netflix.

The tutorials I used to learn how to make t-shirt yarn and the braided rug can be found in this previous blog post.

August 14th, 2015 | No Comments »

Our community garden plot has been doing well despite (or maybe because of) the summer heat. The red cabbages are HUGE, and the six tomato plants we put in at the end of May have turned into a hedge. We started harvesting our first cherry tomatoes on the August long weekend, and they’ve been ripening steadily since.

Untitled

The Gazania Kiss Orange started out with a single flower when we planted it in June and now it is a cluster.

Untitled

We’ve also harvested kale multiple times, as well as the Thai and Sweet Basil. All have been turned into yummy things. I love having a garden plot.

Posted in Good things
August 10th, 2015 | No Comments »

Last night I decided to take apart and redo the centre of the braided rug. I disliked the colours I started with and the farther along I got with the rug, the more it bothered me. I was hesitant to do this because I wasn’t sure if the process of undoing the braids would somehow mess up the rest of the piece. Thankfully it worked out fine.

Untitled

The centre of the rug was a mix of red, navy blue, and orange yarn, and it was the orange I decided to replace with a bright blue. I think it ties in better with what is currently the blue outer edge but will eventually be just another stripe of colours in the rug.

Work in Progress: Braided Rug
Before

Work in Progress: Braided Rug
After

The new colours make the centre stand out better, and toned down the overwhelming orange. There will be more red and blue in the rest of the rug, and a few other colours I haven’t decided upon yet.

I have a lot of work left to do because the braided rug is currently only twenty-two inches wide, and I want it to be about five feet.